I am passionate about walking with others through the challenges that life can hold. In my own life journey I have discovered the value and importance of secure relationships in the healing process. Fear, shame, or wounds frequently become life-dominating issues that are difficult to process alone. I love to create an environment in the counseling relationship that is marked by high levels of trust, grace, and acceptance that I refer to as “hospitality of the heart.” It is my sacred honor and privilege to share an experience with clients through the counseling relationship where they heal, learn, explore, and grow, experiencing new levels of peace and freedom.
Who I Serve
I work with adults, couples, teens, families and groups. I have a special heart for working with women through life transitions and other issues unique to women’s reproductive events such as infertility, pregnancy loss, abortion grief/shame, peripartum and perimenopausal mood disorders, and adjustment to parenting and maternal/infant bonding. To support this specialization I have an advanced certification in Perinatal Mental Health (PMH-C) through Postpartum Support International. Through my previous work and life experiences I also know that parenting can be tough at times and I love to support individuals and couples on the journey of parenting. Fathers/birthing-partners are often overlooked in care settings which I believe is a flaw in the support of families during this transition. I aim to have a partner-inclusive practice in my treatment philosophy for the perinatal population, because I believe it is the best model for the flourishing of babies, mothers, fathers, and the couple’s relationship.
I’m passionate about working with couples to create healthier and more secure marital relationships, both emotionally and physically. My approach with couples is to work to understand the perspective of each partner, creating a strong therapeutic alliance with both, and then to assist couples with exploring, understanding, and changing relational patterns through increased empathy, vulnerability, and trust.
Specialty Treatment Areas
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for couples, families, and individuals
- Perinatal mental health and the transition to parenthood
- Life transitions (emerging adulthood, career, divorce, parenting, empty nesting)
- Faith-based/spiritual concerns
Additional Treatment Areas
- Mood disorders
- Family relationships/conflict
- Grief and loss
- Pregnancy or infant loss
- Perimenopausal Mood and Anxiety Disorders
- Moral Injury
- Health/medical crisis
My theoretical approach is tailored to the individual needs of my clients but is firmly grounded on the foundation of a secure client-therapist alliance. Once a strong therapeutic relationship is established, interventions are selected based on current empirically supported treatment options and the unique needs of the individual client(s). When working with couples or families, my primary treatment approach is Emotionally Focused Couple’s Therapy. Faith-based counseling is an additional layer that I provide for clients that desire this as a part of their counseling experience.
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor in the State of Illinois (LCPC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor in the State of Wisconsin
- Perinatal Mental Health Certification (PMH-C)
- Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy Level 1 Certificate
- Emotionally Focused Therapy for Couples and Families advanced training
- MA in Mental Health Counseling from Trinity International University
- MA in Secondary Mathematics Education from DePaul University
- America Counseling Association
- International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Chicago Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling