Help With DepressionSchedule Now
If you are experiencing the symptoms of depression, it is important to know that you can find a trained professional to help with depression. The recommendations when it comes to help with depression often include counseling, medication, or a combination of both counseling and medication. There are also a number of recommendations that may be given for at home treatment and in coordination with counseling and/or medication. These treatments may include, but are not limited to:
- daily exercise
- regular meals
- increasing water intake
- spending time in the sun or out in nature
- daily meditation
- quality time with loved ones
- and setting realistic expectations for mood to improve.
It is advised to work with your doctor and a licensed medical professional in order to find the right treatment plan for you or a loved one who is suffering from depression.
As mentioned previously, counseling is one of the most common forms of treatment for depression, as it can be very effective at identifying and managing the factors that contribute to depression. This type of treatment is a collaborative effort, so that both the patient and his/her doctor will work together to identify triggers and learn effective coping techniques. Medication can be used in coordination with counseling and under the advisement of a doctor. While medication will not cure depression, it can be used to manage depression symptoms. This may be especially helpful if your symptoms are impacting your ability to cope with everyday tasks and activities. Again, be sure to talk with your doctor about the treatment plan right for you.
If you are unsure of whether or not you need help with depression, it may be beneficial to better understand the signs and symptoms of depression. For example, sadness is only one symptom of depression, and not all who suffer from depression will experience sadness. If you or a loved one is suffering from any one or more of the following symptoms, then it might be the right time to speak with your doctor about treatment.
- You regularly feel sad or anxious.
- You are no longer excited about things, people, and activities that you once enjoyed.
- You experience regular feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, or helplessness.
- You or a loved one has noticed a decrease in energy or an increase in fatigue.
- You have a difficulty concentrating on tasks and making decisions throughout the day.
- You have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up in the morning.
- Without being on an intentional diet or exercise program, you have experienced changes in your appetite or weight.
- You often feel restless, jumpy, or irritable.
- You experience other physical symptoms affecting your daily life.
- You have thoughts of death or suicide.
If you are currently experiencing, or have experienced, any of these symptoms, then it may be the right time to speak with your doctor about finding a professional to help with depression. With the right care and treatment, many individuals find great relief.
Then, when you are ready to learn more about specific techniques that can be used to help you or a loved one find relief, please give us a call at Cherry Hill Counseling. We have offices located in the Vernon Hills, Lake Zurich, McHenry, and Chicago areas and are ready and able to work with you to find the support you need. Our staff uses a variety of theoretical approaches to treat depression. These approaches include:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Behavioral Activation
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Therapy
- Client-Centered Therapy
- Existential Therapy
- Schema Therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Arts and Expressive Therapies
In addition to these various therapy approaches, we use different interventions and techniques such as:
- identifying and modifying maladaptive beliefs
- cognitive reframing
- learning emotional regulation skills
- assessing value and life goals
- learning conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- …and more.
You can reach our main office at (847)-438-4222. Our team at Cherry Hill Counseling is comprised of clinicians who specialize in working with individuals, groups, couples, and families. We’ve made it our mission to ensure that you no longer have to walk through life alone.
- Anxiety Disorders. (March 2016). In National Institute of Mental Health. Retrieved from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression-what-you-need-to-know/index.shtml
- Overcoming Depression. In American Psychological Association. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/depression.aspx.
- Understand the Facts. In Anxiety and Depression Association of America. Retrieved from https://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety.