Failure to Launch Treatment for Young AdultsSchedule Now
Most young adults look forward to the day when they can finally leave their parents’ home and strike out on their own. But for some, this time of independence is anything but easy. For a growing number of young adults, failure to launch is becoming a serious problem.
- What is failure to launch and what are the symptoms?
- What are the possible causes of failure to launch?
- How is failure to launch treated?
- What can young adults do to help themselves overcome failure to launch syndrome?
- Can failure to launch be prevented?
What is failure to launch and what are the symptoms?
Failure to launch is a term used to describe a difficulty transitioning into adulthood. This may include difficulties with independence, establishing and maintaining relationships, or finding and holding down a job. There are many possible causes for failure to launch, but treatment is available. Treatment options may include therapy, medication, or a combination of both.
Symptoms of failure to launch may include:
- Difficulty living independently
- Problems forming and maintaining relationships
- Joblessness or underemployment
- Drifting from academic goals
- Excessive drinking or drug use
- Depression or anxiety
- Lack of motivation
- Unsure of what they want to do with their life
What are the possible causes of failure to launch?
There are many possible causes for failure to launch. Some of the most common causes include:
- Lack of support from parents or family members.
- Difficulty adjusting to the changes that come with adulthood.
- Feeling overwhelmed by the responsibilities of adulthood.
- Unemployment or underemployment.
- Social isolation.
- Financial difficulties.
- Depression or anxiety.
- Substance abuse problems.
- Relationship problems.
- Lack of direction or purpose in life.
How is failure to launch treated?
Failure to launch treatment may include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Treatment options vary depending on the individual and the cause of failure to launch. However, some common treatments include:
- Therapy. Therapy programs for young adults can help them understand and address the underlying causes of their failure to launch. It can also help them learn how to live independently and manage relationships and stress.
- Medication. If young adults are experiencing anxiety or depression, medication may be prescribed to help them stabilize their moods.
- A combination of therapy and medication. In some cases, a combination of therapy and medication is the most effective way to treat failure to launch.
What can young adults do to help themselves overcome failure to launch syndrome?
There are several things young adults can do to help themselves overcome failure to launch syndrome:
- Seek professional help. This is the best way to get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. At Cherry Hill we have one of the best failure to launch programs.
- Talk to friends or family members about what you’re going through. It can be helpful to share your struggles with people who understand what you’re going through and can offer support.
- Make a plan for independence. Start small by gradually taking on more responsibilities until you’re able to live independently.
- Stay focused on your goals. Don’t give up on your dreams and aspirations just because transitioning into adulthood is difficult.
- Take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Make sure you’re eating healthy foods, getting enough sleep, and taking time for yourself each day.
- Be patient with yourself. It takes time to overcome failure to launch syndrome and establish independence. Try not to be too hard on yourself if you have setbacks along the way.
Can failure to launch be prevented?
There is no surefire way to prevent failure to launch. However, there are some things young adults can do to reduce their risk:
- Stay in school. Young adults who dropout of high school or college are more likely to experience failure to launch.
- Get a job. Even if it’s not your dream job, having any kind of employment can help you transition into adulthood.
- Live at home. If possible, living at home with your parents or other family members can help you save money and reduce stress.
- Seek out support. Find a support group or therapist to talk to if you’re struggling to adjust to adulthood.
- Make a plan. Know what your goals are and have a plan for how to achieve them. This can help you stay focused and motivated.
Failure to launch is a real syndrome that can impact young adults in a variety of ways. While the causes of failure to launch are varied, treatment is available. Treatment options include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. There are things young adults can do to help themselves overcome failure to launch syndrome and establish independence. Prevention is not guaranteed, but some steps young adults can take to reduce their risk include staying in school, getting a job, and seeking out support.
Take the First Step
If you or someone you know is struggling with failure to launch syndrome, don’t hesitate to seek professional help from us at Cherry Hill Counseling. With the right treatment, most young adults are able to overcome this condition and live happy, successful lives.