Counseling takes great courage. People who authentically face their fears, name their issues, and get it that they can’t do life alone are the people I admire and respect the most. I’m so not perfect – and I don’t expect others to be. My goal is simply to SHOW UP FOR LIFE – every day, as best I can, with as much courage and honesty I can muster. I work hard at living an authentic, rich, brave life – and I hope to encourage you to do the same.
Who I Serve
I specialize in treating those who struggle with intimacy disorders, particularly in the areas of sex and love addiction. I work with those struggling with sexual behaviors and their spouses/families, as well as singles struggling to maintain or re-establish personal integrity and self-respect.
I am currently undergoing intense training as a Certified Sexual Addictions Therapist, (IITAP), and have completed a Sexual Addiction Counseling Certificate, (AACC). I am also on the clinical staff of Bethesda Workshops, Nashville, TN, facilitating a four-day intensive working primarily with women who struggle with sex and love addiction.
I love to work with anyone who is committed to seriously caring for themselves, even if they have never been able to successfully do that before. Age 18 to 80. Men or women. Single, married, divorced, widowed, engaged. Strong faith or wobbling belief.
Treatment Specialties and Competencies
- Recovery from sex and/or love addiction
- Recovery from betrayal/pain experienced through a relationship with a sex/love addict
- Communication/relational issues (couples, singles, parents)
- Healing low self-worth, self-respect, self-confidence
- Healthy grieving (loss of person, pet, job, dream)
- Freedom from co-dependency
- Navigating transition (college years, job change, divorce, aging)
We all need a team. Every one of us. If you let me, I’ll be on your team…but I can’t be the only one. Therapy is only a part of your health and healing. Together we will look at these five areas: physical, mental, emotional, relational, and spiritual. Together we will figure out where and when you got off course – and what steps you can take to find balance and hope. I’m big on 12 Step Recovery, looking at healthy and unhealthy attachments, understanding and owning emotions, evaluating and revising ineffective communication patterns, and facing childhood trauma with gentleness, courage, and compassion.
- Certified Sexual Addictions Therapist (Candidate), International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals, Glendale, AZ
- Certificate in Sexual Addiction Recovery, American Association of Christian Counselors, Forest, VA
- MA in Mental Health Counseling, Trinity International University, Deerfield, IL
- MA in Counseling Ministries, Trinity International University, Deerfield, IL
- BA in English/Psychology, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
- 2 years as therapist with Bethesda Workshops, Nashville, TN (working with women who struggle with sex/love addition and their partners)
- 3 years as therapist with Sojourner Center for Counseling, Lake Zurich, IL, and private practice of Dr. JoAnn Nishimoto, Mundelein, IL (working with individuals, couples, and groups on marriage and family issues, addictions, depression, and grief)
- 3 years as a bereavement counselor with Family Centered Hospice, Addison, IL (journeying with individuals and families as they grieve the loss of a loved one)
- 15 years as Director of Career Services for Colorado Technical University and Trinity International University (working with traditional and non-traditional college and graduate students)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- America Association of Christian Counselors (AACC)
- National Certified Counselor (NBCC)